French Concession Tour Summary
This tour is a must for anyone that wants to understand Shanghai’s colonial legacy because it not only gives you access to colonial mansions but also explains how the foreign concessions were formed and what impact they had on those that lived there.
During the French Concession Tour you will learn how the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion determined the course of Shanghai's history; marvel at the property empire of Victor Sassoon; find out why you wouldn’t want to be treated in a 1920’s hospital; and take a tour of a drug trafficking millionaire’s mansion.
And as if all that wasn’t enough, you also have the option of joining us for a Delicious Chinese Lunch during which you will learn more about colonial gangsters, and find out about China’s ancient tea drinking traditions.
What The Media Says
What Guests Say On Tripadvisor.com
“Newman Tours’ French Concession Tour is a perfect way to explore one of Shanghai’s most aesthetically pleasing areas.”
Alice Sharman, Shanghai Talk
“A heady mix of celebrity scandal and political intrigue, peering into the lives of the wealthy and the powerful.”
Mary Weeks, Enjoy Shanghai
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old
- Public French Concession Tour availability can be seen by clicking here.
- Private French Concession Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof) and are 2 hours long.
- Select French Concession Tours are led by Senior Newman Tours’ Guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in italics in the French Concession Tour Schedule below. Select Tours require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof) and are 2.5 hours long.
- Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
• The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select French Concession Tours is outside exit 4 of South Shanxi Metro Station (lines 1 & 10), on the corner of South Maoming Road and Central Huaihai Road (陕西南路地铁站四号出口，淮海中路靠近茂名南路).
• Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here or
Terms and Conditions
• Tours should be booked and confirmed at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least three hours in advance.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
• Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Proof of payment receipts are available if requested in advance.
• Tour prices are not inclusive of tax invoices, which if required cost an additional 15% of the total cost of the tour.
• Public and Private Tour Payments should be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
• If agreed in advance, Select Tours can also be paid for via bank transfer within 10 days of the tour’s completion.
• Tours do not include accommodation, transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the Tour Schedule listed above as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so it will do its upmost to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
•Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
•All tours are subject to availability.
Excursions Around Shanghai
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
The Shanghai French Concession Tour
French Concession Tour Highlights
•Meet outside exit 4 of South Shanxi Metro Station (lines 1 & 10), on the corner of South Maoming Road and Central Huaihai Road (陕西南路地铁站四号出口，淮海中路靠近茂名南路).
•See the Cathay Theatre and learn about China’s golden film era.
•Visit the stunning Cercle Sportif Francais, which once served as a private palace for Mao Zedong.
•Visit Jinjiang Hotel, where the legendary feminist icon Dong Zhujun once presided.
•Weave your way through the French Concession’s Li Long back-streets and learn about how the Opium Wars and Taiping Rebellion determined the course of Shanghai's history.
•Visit a 1920’s hospital and discover the terrible mistake they made when treating tuberculosis.
•See where Shanghai’s White Russian refugees worshipped, and learn about the magical powers they attributed to the Archbishop that taught them.
•Guests on the Select French Concession Tour will also see where one of the richest opium dealers in Shanghai once lived and discover the role his brothers played in the American drug trade.
•Guests on the Select French Concession Tour will also get the exclusive opportunity to see a statue of one of China’s greatest writers and explore the area where the white Russians lived.
Delicious Chinese Lunch Schedule
•After the tour, enjoy a Chinese lunch cooked with a Shanghainese twist.
•During your meal, find out why it wasn’t a good idea for foreigners to eat with Big Eared Du and discover the unusual way in which he attempted to avoid assassination.
•Whilst enjoying your lunch, learn how Chinese tea customs were influenced by the exploits of a Qing Dynasty Emperor.
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
See this Russian Orthodox Church where the White Russians used to pray and enjoy a Chinese Lunch in a restaurant just around the corner
See the Cathay Theatre and learn how Shanghai inspired cinema in the West.
*Under 14 years old