Gangster Tour Summary
Take a tour through Shanghai with a colonial gangster and learn about the crime lords who once ruled the city like kings. From “Big Eared” Du with his lucky monkey heads to “Pockmarked” Huang and his police car drug distribution, get to know some of the early 20th century’s most powerful gangsters, and find out why you wouldn’t want to cross them.
Then, having got your bearings amongst the city’s leading criminal families, enjoy a complimentary drink in a property that once belonged to one of the world’s most influential families. Whilst there we will show you how to cheat when playing Black Jack and Craps and explain how colonial Shanghai’s casinos ensured they always came out on top.
And if hanging round criminal estates and learning how to cheat at Black Jack still hasn’t got your heart pumping fast enough then how about shooting some guns!?! That’s right, if you’re game for this optional extra, we’ll take you to a carefully chosen shooting range and let you participate in a Cops vs. Robbers Shooting Competition (archery is available as an alternative option upon request).
Gangster Tour Schedule
•Meet your guide from Shanghai’s colonial criminal underworld outside exit 3 of Changshu Road Metro Station (lines 7 & 1) 常熟地铁站三号出口.
•Guests on the Select Gangster Tour will have exclusive access to a set of colonial costumes and accessories that will get them in the mood for the Gangster Tour.
•See where one of the richest opium dealers in Shanghai once lived and discover how he avoided jail time when he got caught.
•Admire the house where one of Shanghai’s wealthiest banking families lived and find out how dog food brought a bloody end to it’s empire.
•Visit the luxurious mansion presented to Shanghai’s most powerful Chinese criminal mastermind, “Big Eared” Du, and find out why he was treated with such reverence.
•See the clubhouse in which “Big Eared” Du stored his opium, and find out how he prevented the police from arresting him.
•Discover why “Big Eared” Du thought that monkey heads were the secret of his success.
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.
Tour Types & Timings
• Private Gangster Tours (2 hours) can be scheduled for your group at any time you like but require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof). They are inclusive of a complimentary drink of up to 35rmb in a beautiful colonial mansion.
• Private Cops vs Robbers Shooting Competitions (1.5 hours) are an optional extra that include taxis to the shooting gallery and a 30 minute air gun shooting competition (or 10 bullets rifle and 24 arrows competition for those that wish to attend with children from the ages of 10 through to 17). Please note guests will need to bring their passports or photocopies thereof in order to be able to shoot.
• Select Gangster Tours (2.5 hours) are led by Senior Newman Tours Guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in italics in the Tour Schedule below. Select Tours require a minimum of 3 adult guests (or the financial equivalent thereof). They are inclusive of an even more extensive list of drinks that features classic alcoholic and non-alcoholic colonial cocktails.
• Select Cops vs Robbers Shooting Competitions (1.5 hours) are an optional extra that include taxis to the shooting gallery and a 30 minute air gun shooting competition (or 10 bullet rifle and 24 arrows competition for those that wish to attend with children from the ages of 10 through to 17), plus colonial themed prizes for the shooting competition (1st Place: Colonial Style Breast Pocket Watch, 2nd Place: Bullet Shaped Lighter, 3rd Place: Chinese Yin-Yang Balls; Everybody Else: Gangster Sunglasses). Please note guests will need to bring their passports or photocopies thereof in order to be able to shoot.
Find out how to swindle your friends when playing Craps and Black Jack
•See where the Chinese customs officer once lived, and discover why he was such a thorn in the side of “Big Eared” Du.
•Guests on the Select Gangster Tour will get the exclusive chance to see the old Jewish club and will learn about the discussions that took place inside its walls and changed the fate of Shanghai.
•Visit the mansion that was built by a Dutch con-man who got away with daylight robbery and learn about the nasty fate of the opportunist that later took over the house.
•See where the White Russians used to live and work, and find out why they outnumbered the French three to one in 1930s Shanghai.
•Stroll past the former home of Chiang Kai Shek, and find out just how corrupt he really was.
•Finish your Gangster Tour with a complimentary drink in a mansion that belonged to one of the most powerful families in the world (guests on the Select Gangster Tour can choose from an even more extensive list of drinks that features classic alcoholic and non-alcoholic colonial cocktails).
•Whilst enjoying your complimentary drink, learn how to cheat when playing craps and black jack.
Guests on the Select Gangster Tour will have the opportunity to use Newman Tours’ exclusive accessories.
See how Shanghai’s colonial kingpins displayed their wealth in the great mansions they commissioned.
- The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Gangster Tours is outside exit 3 of Changshu Road Metro Station (lines 7 & 1) near the junction between Huaihai Road and Changshu Road
-Meeting Point Directions
with instructions provided in
both English and Chinese
can be viewed here or
downloaded by clicking on
image to the right of this text.
“If you're fascinated by the opium-hazed glory years of Shanghai then this is for you. Delivered in-character, it's equal parts fun and factual.”
Tel: (021) 64746628
Add: 11 Dongping Road Shanghai
Sign up for the optional Cops vs. Robbers Shooting Competition and learn how to
fire both air pistols and an air rifles.
Cops vs. Robbers Shooting Competition
(archery is available as an alternative option upon request)
• Take a free taxi (private vehicles available upon request) to a shooting range just a short drive away from the bar in which you have been learning your gambling tricks.
• Arrive at the shooting range, where your guide will tell you about the guns you will be firing, explain how to use them safely, and give you tips about how to get the best score possible.
• Before the shooting begins, will be split you into two teams: the cops and the robbers.
• Take a deep breath before squeezing those triggers. You have fifteen minutes shooting with an air pistol and fifteen minutes shooting with an air rifle, and your best five shots with each weapon will count towards your total score.
• Count your score and get your guide to verify and add it to the all important scoreboard.
• Drumroll please... it’s time to find who has won the competition.
• All guests on the Select Gangster Tour will be awarded prizes for the shooting competition (1st Place: Colonial Style Breast Pocket Watch, 2nd Place: Bullet Shaped Lighter, 3rd Place: Chinese Yin-Yang Balls; Everybody Else: Gangster Sunglasses)
Exclusive prizes available only for guests on the Select Gangster Tour.
Guests showing off their prizes after their
Select Gangster Tour.
Learn how to shoot air guns with the right technique.
• No matter whether you were a hot shot detective or a wonky eyed gangster, you can take your targets home with you to remember a classic evening in Shanghai.
Learn the Olympic air gun scoring system
Learn how to fire accurately and safely with professional instructors
• Full Terms & Conditions are listed at the bottom of this page.
The Shanghai Gangster Tour
Learn the art of chopstick pick-pocketing, and try it out on your fellow guests.
Terms and Conditions
• Tours must be booked and confirmed at least three hours in advance in order for them to take place.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to cancel tours by informing confirmed attendees at least three hours in advance.
• Please arrive at least 10 minutes in advance of scheduled meeting times to ensure we can start on time.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to start its tours on time, and will not wait for guests more than ten minutes after the scheduled start time of their tours.
•Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult guardian.
•Newman Tours reserves the right to request proof of student or child status in the form of valid identification.
• Guests can only book a maximum of fifteen places on a Public Tour. If guests wish to book more than fifteen places then they must instead book a Private or Select Tour.
•Proof of payment receipts available if requested in advance.
•Tour prices are not inclusive of Tax Invoices, which if required cost 15% of the total cost of the tour.
•Public and Private Tour Payments must be made in Chinese Renminbi at the end of the tour.
•If agreed in advance, Select Tours can also be paid for via bank transfer within 10 days of the tour’s completion.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so at their own risk.
• Guests on Public and Private Gangster Tours are entitled to a complimentary drink worth up to 35 rmb, but can choose to select a more expensive drink and pay the difference.
• Guests attending Select Gangster Tours are entitled to a complimentary drink worth up to 45 rmb, but can choose to select a more expensive drink and pay the difference.
• Tours do not include transportation, food, drink and other non-tour guide related fees unless otherwise stated.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours Tours must have their own health and safety insurance.
• Guests who take part in Newman Tours do so entirely at their own risk.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to alter the listed content of tours as a result of bad weather or location inaccessibility. In doing so, however, it will try to ensure that equally high quality alternative content is provided.
• Newman Tours reserves the right to refuse people the right to attend and if necessary remove them from their tours if they are intoxicated, aggressive or offensive.
Excursions Around Shanghai
(0086) 138 1777 0229
Tours in and around Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou & Suzhou
Pricing Summary (prices in Chinese Renminbi per person)
* Under 14 years old.