Find out why the Mongolians built Beijing’s first hutongs, see for yourself what traditional Beijingers get up to when they think nobody is looking, and discover how a warlord managed to return to Beijing in a coffin alive. All this plus table tennis with the locals, a rickshaw ride, water calligraphy, and much more besides.
- Walk around Beijing’s historic hutongs, and learn how to identify their age and how to Feng Shui, and who’s copying it.
- Find out how ancient Beijing moved a million people into the city and how long it took for them to leave.
- Visit a traditional home and discover why its famous resident was so contradictory.
- Learn about the extraordinary technical achievement that is Beijing’s 500 year old bell tower.
The Standard Meeting Point for Public & Private Hutong Adventure Tours is outside Exit E of Nanluoguxiang Metro Station 南锣鼓巷地铁站E出口外面 (on Di’anmen Dong Da Jie, near Nanluogu Xiang: 地安门东大街，靠近南锣鼓巷).
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||260||340|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
What Our Guests Say
What the Media Says
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“A flair for dramatic presentation”
George Wyndham, Global Times
Hutong Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Beijing Hutong Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Articles discussing the renovation of Beijing’s hutongs
- Information on why residents of the Beijing hutongs are hoping to be relocated
- Gems hidden along the route walked on the Beijing hutong tour, as well as other hutongs worth exploring