Visit one of the most beautiful cities in China, and learn about its incredible artistic and scientific achievements during the tumultuous Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279). From the story of military genius Yue Fei to the tale of politically outspoken official Su Shi, and from the ancient Buddhist rock carvings of Fei Lai Feng to the tranquil shores of West Lake, this eight hour trip will make you realise that Hangzhou’s history is just as awe inspiring as its scenery.
- Commute to Hangzhou by bullet train and hear an overview of its history as you near your destination.
- Arrive at your first stop, Fei Lai Feng, and explore an extraordinary set of ancient Chinese Buddhist rock carvings.
- Explore one of China’s largest and most sacred Buddhist temples and meet the gods that reside there.
- Enjoy a luxurious local lunch next to Hangzhou’s most famous attraction, West Lake.
- Visit Su Causeway, where your guide will tell you the story of the legendary poet and outspoken official who oversaw its construction.
- Take a boat to the centre of West Lake, admire the calligraphy of the Qing Dynasty Emperor, Qianlong, and learn about his passion for Hangzhou.
- Visit Yue Fei Mausoleum, pay your respects to one of China’s most revered military heroes, and find out why some must bow their heads to him in eternal shame.
- Return to Shanghai by bullet train.
Pricing (Chinese renminbi per person)
|4 or more guests||1190||1360|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“Plenty of fascinating historical information”
John Sunyer, Time Out
Hangzhou Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Hangzhou Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Articles discussing some of the architecture you will have seen on the Hangzhou Tour.
- Interesting links to more information about Buddhist temples, such as the one visited during the Hangzhou Tour.
- References in literature and art to the West Lake you saw on the Hangzhou Tour.