On this one day tour you will see the Mausoleum of Dr. Sun Yat Sen (the founding father of Republican China), the Ming Dynasty Tombs, the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom Palace, Zhanyuan Gardens and Zhunghua Gate (the best surviving Ming Dynasty defences in the world).
- Meet outside Shanghai Hongqiao train station.
- Catch a bullet train to Nanjing and hear an overview of its history as you near your destination.
- Visit the picturesque Purple Mountain, a series of gentle hills shaded by woodland and bamboo groves.
- Visit the Museum of Sun Yat Sen where the life of the Republican Leader and find out why he is revered as the founding father of modern China.
- Visit Ming Xiao Ling, where the first Emperor of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644AD), Hongwu, lies in rest. Whilst there, learn how he made his way from street beggar to conqueror of the largest empire the world has ever known.
- Nanjing is famous for its cuisine, and we will take you to one of its most celebrated restaurants to eat a meal fit for Emperor Hongwu.
- Visit the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom Palace and find out how 20-50 million people died as a result of the rebellion its leaders launched.
- Stroll around one of China’s finest gardens, Zhanyuan, and learn about the lunacy of the Taiping Rebellion leaders resided there.
- Take a canal boat to Zhonghua Gate, a key element in Nanjing’s southern defences, built under the orders of the first Ming Emperor, Hongwu.
- Take the bullet train back to Shanghai.
- Arrive back at Shanghai Hongqiao train station.
Pricing (Chinese renminbi per person)
|4 or more guests||1680|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“Plenty of fascinating historical information”
John Sunyer, Time Out
Nanjing Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Nanjing Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Documentaries that further explain the historical significance of Nanjing as a Chinese city
- Interesting links to more information on the Ming Dynasty defense structures you’ve seen