On this eight hour tour you’ll enjoy Tiger Hill (with its sword testing rock and leaning pagoda); the Silk Museum (where you will see real silkworms in action); a delicious Chinese meal in a beautiful park setting; the Suzhou Museum (designed by the legendary I. M. Pei, and containing one of the finest art collections in China); and the Humble Administrator’s Garden (a stunning Chinese scholarly garden).
Schedule (8 hours)
- Travel to Suzhou in bullet train and hear an overview of its history as you near your destination.
- Board private coach and head for Tiger Hill, where the King of Wu is buried. Whilst there we will tell you about the hill’s miraculous springs, test your mettle on sword striking rock, and teach you about the hidden treasure of the leaning pagoda.
- Visit the Silk Museum and see the silkworms that China managed to keep secret for 3,000 years.
- Treat your taste-buds to some local specialties in a grand courtyard household that once belonged to a local official.
- Visit I. M. Pei’s architectural masterpiece, the Suzhou Museum. Whilst there, we will explore the ancient origins of Suzhou, see how the Chinese used to try and preserve every last bit of their rulers and discover how Suzhou’s literati steered and manipulated China’s art market.
- Explore the stunning Humble Administrator’s Garden and find out how it was obtained by a beggar free of charge.
- Return to Shanghai by bullet train
Pricing (Chinese renminbi per person)
|4 or more guests||1090||1215|
Suzhou Excursion can booked as a Private Excursion. Pricing includes English native-speaking tour guide, return bullet train to Suzhou, private vehicle and chauffeur in Suzhou, all entry fees, and a delicious Chinese lunch.
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“Plenty of fascinating historical information”
John Sunyer, Time Out
Suzhou Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Suzhou Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Interesting links discussing the development of Suzhou and its famous scholarly gardens.
- Information on how the emperors of China modelled their Imperial Gardens on the traditional gardens.
- Videos to help you discover more about the philosophy of the Suzhou gardens.