The Bund Tour introduces you to the amazing businessmen and architects that built the the world’s most famous embankment. Take a stroll along the world’s most famous promenade and learn how a boggy marshland was turned into one of the most important trading hubs in the modern world. View the interiors of some of the Bund’s most stunning architectural masterpieces including the former Yokohama Specie Bank, the Peace Hotel and the Shanghai Club. From Victor Sassoon’s Cathay Hotel with its celebrity guests and wild fancy dress parties to T. V. Song’s Bank of China and its famous case of daylight robbery, Newman Tours’ Bund experience provides a glimpse of Shanghai’s extravagant colonial past.
- Meet next to the check in desk of the Astor House Pujiang Hotel at 15 Huangpu Road, near Daming Road (浦江饭店, 黄浦路15号, 近大名路).
- Wander past the North China Daily News, where you will learn about Emily Hahn, an eccentric female journalist that once worked there.
- Inspect the Customs Building, learn how it was used to project colonial power, and find out why its clock was stopped.
- Walk a few doors down to the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, where you will see some of the world’s most spectacular mosaics, and find out how not to try and rob a bank.
- Visit the Shanghai Club, where you will discover just how hard it was to get a membership, see the “curvature of the earth” along what was once the world’s longest bar, and find out how the Japanese overcame their struggle to play British billiards.
- Guests on the Select Bund Tour will also get the unique opportunity to enter the legendary Cathay Hotel and discover the wonderful world of colonial property mogul, Victor Sassoon. Here you will discover where Victor’s fortune came from, why he was discriminated against, and just what went on at his naughty fancy dress parties.
- Learn about the new skyline of Lujiazui and its legendary skyscrapers: the Jinmao Tower, the Shanghai World Financial Centre and the Oriental Pearl Tower.
- Guests on the Select Bund Tour will also have the chance to walk along a newly renovated colonial road tucked behind the Bund. There they will see the old British consulate building as well as some of the most experimental colonial architecture in Shanghai.
The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Bund Tours is Next to the check in desk of the Astor House Pujiang Hotel at 15 Huangpu Road, near Daming Road (浦江饭店, 黄浦路15号, 近大名路).
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||260||340|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
What Our Guests Say
What the Media Says
“Newman Tours is a fun and memorable way to peel back the wrapping tightly bound around Shanghai’s past and delight in the surprises beneath.”
“Newman Tours’ guides are not only highly knowledgeable about the city and its past, but also have the charisma to bring the incredible stories of the area to life.”
Bund Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Bund Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Information on the Bunds most striking buildings and the stories which make them famous
- How this iconic part of Shanghai has directly impacted the city’s development
- Films that feature the Bund