This tour takes place in the Urban Planning Exhibition Centre, and explores the way in which leading China scholars expect Shanghai and China as a whole will develop in the coming years. Taking in the biggest scale model of a city in the world, a panoramic virtual flight around Shanghai, plus a the chance to ride a speed boat simulator to Yangshan Deep Water Port, this experience explores the implications of China’s 13th 5-year plan, and makes predictions regarding demographics, wealth disparity, and pollution.
Highlighting the challenges that China will face in the coming decades and the opportunities they will present, this tour will really get you thinking.
- Meet outside exit 3 of People’s Square Metro Station (lines 1, 2 & 8) and see how the Urban Planning Exhibition Centre fits into the overall layout of the city’s People’s Square.
- Enter the Urban Planning Exhibition Centre and find out why you have to take its content with a pinch of salt.
- View a scale model of the Bund, find out how it has been rebranded, and learn why Shanghai almost never became China’s financial capital.
- View photos of old Shanghai, and learn how the city’s colonial past continues to influence business in the present day.
- Head upstairs to view the largest scale model of a city in the world.
- As you walk around the Urban Planning Exhibition Centre’s enormous scale model, your guide will point out key buildings that are currently under construction, show you the site of the Shanghai Expo, and describe how the government plans to make use of it.
- Take a panoramic virtual flight around Shanghai and see the highlights of its architectural splendors.
- Learn about what the government’s 13th five year plan has in store for Shanghai, and get your guide to show you key images of of these projects on the Exhibition Hall’s Chinese interfaces.
- Ride a speedboat simulator around Shanghai’s Yangshan Deep Water Port and learn about the key role that it will play in developing the city’s trading capacity.
- Shanghai already has the longest metro system in the world and yet they’re still building. Find out what’s in store next.
- Discover what challenges China is likely to face as we make predictions regarding demographics, wealth disparity, and pollution.
The Standard Meeting Point for Private and Select Shanghai Future Tours is outside exit 3 of People’s Square Metro Station (lines 1, 2 & 8) near the entrance to the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Centre, at the intersection between Middle Xizang Road and People’s Avenue, 人民广场地铁站三号出口 (西藏中路靠近人民大道).
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||360||440|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“Newman Tours’ guides are not only highly knowledgeable about the city and its past, but also have the charisma to bring the incredible stories of the area to life.”
Alice Shaman, Shanghai Talk
Shanghai Future Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Shanghai Future Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Films about Shanghai’s stunning architectural heritage and how it has morphed over the ages
- Documentaries that further explore changes that Shanghai faces in the future
- More information about Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Centre
Included Ticket Information
|Dates||1st April to 31stOctober||1st November to 31st March|
|Entry Fee (RMB)||30||30|
(Tickets selling times)
|9:00 – 17:00
(9:00 – 16:00)
|9:00 – 17:00
(9:00 – 16:00)