From 4,000-year-old bronzes used in live burials through to priceless Buddhist sculptures taken from the legendary Silk Road, the Shanghai Museum is one of the finest ancient art collections in China. However, without expert guidance it is difficult to appreciate the subtleties that differentiate one of its masterpieces from another.
This is where our expert guides come in. Armed with an extensive knowledge of Chinese art, they are able to help you get to grips with the history of China’s rich artistic heritage and ensure you get the most out of your Shanghai Museum experience.
- Meet outside the North exit of the Shanghai Museum (201 People’s Square, near North Huangpi Road).
- Hear a brief history of the collection as you go through the museum’s security checks.
- Explore the museum’s ancient bronzes, learn about their mysterious animal motifs and hear the story of the curse of the enormous “Da Ke Ding” vessel.
- Explore the museum’s sculpture collection and learn why the surname “Li” caused Buddhism so many problems during the Tang Dynasty.
- Take a tour around the museum’s exquisite furniture collection and learn how to identify whether you have any priceless furniture that belonged to the Empress Dowager Cixi sitting in your living room.
- Guests on the Select Shanghai Museum will also receive an exclusive introduction to the calligraphy section of the museum.
- In addition, guests on the Select Shanghai Museum will also get the chance to try their hand at executing some calligraphy of their own.
The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Shanghai Museum Tours is outside the North exit of the Shanghai Museum, 201 People’s Square, near North Huangpi Road (上海博物馆北出口, 人民大道210号, 上海市政府对面，靠近黄陂北路).
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||360||440|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“A flair for dramatic presentation”
George Wyndham, Global Times
Shanghai Museum Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Shanghai Museum Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Additional information on China’s most precious antiques and why they are abroad
- Links that explore the history and significance of the Shanghai Museum
Shanghai Museum Information
|Opening Hours||9:00 to 17:00|