Xi’an was one of the greatest melting pots of culture, goods, religions, and ideas in Eurasia and one of its greatest moments was the sixteen-year journey of the monk Xuanzang down into India to collect holy Buddhist texts to bring back to Xi’an. This story then inspired the famous novel Journey to the West, with Tripataka based on Xuanzang, accompanied by Pigsy and the Monkey King, and the countless sequels, plays, comics, video games, books and even rock operas following it since. The Great Wild Goose Pagoda is the place to explore the origin of this epic, which will be brought to life by your expert Newman Tours guide.
- See the golden statue of Guanyin, understand how she too made her journey from India – one in which she stopped being a man, and became the woman you see today.
- See the enormous pagoda in which Xuanzang kept his holy texts, and learn how the tower you see before you today has risen again and again out of collapse, the world’ most deadly earthquake, and war.
- See the sculptures and learn about both the real journey of Xuanzang and the mythical journey of Tripataka, Pigsy, and the Monkey King.
- Smell the incense, see the monks, and the sacrifices that continue to occur at this temple still functioning today – some one thousand and four hundred years after Xuanzang’s return.
The Standard Meeting Point for Public, Private & Select Monkey King Tours is outside Xiaozhai Metro Station (在小寨地铁站外面见面).
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||290||390|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“A flair for dramatic presentation”
George Wyndham, Global Times
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
Monkey King Tour Follow Up
Guests on the Monkey King Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Great Wild Goose Pagoda history links that further explore the way in which the pagoda evolved.
- Journey to the West links that will enable you to better understand the mythical tale and its significance.
Included Ticket Information
|Dates||16th March to 4th November||15th November to March 15th|
|Entry Fee (RMB)||50
(30 for climbing the pagoda)
(20 for climbing the pagoda)
|Opening Hours||08:00 – 17:30||08:00 – 17:00|