The Terracotta Warriors were arguably the greatest archaeological discovery of the 20th century, but to appreciate why they are so important and the historical context in which they were made you need a well researched tour.
Our Xi’an Terracotta Warriors Tour was designed by Daniel Newman, who has a two year Masters Degree in Chinese Studies from the University Of Cambridge. Working with local Chinese scholars Daniel has spent more than 100 hours developing content and finding visual resources that make for a truly engaging and insightful tour.
Call us on (0086) 138 1777 0229 or email us on info@newmantours to book your Terracotta Warriors Tour today.
- Newman Tours’ experienced guide will pick you up from a starting point of your choosing in a Private Vehicle and take you to the site of the Terracotta Warriors.
- On the way to the Terracotta Warriors your guide will give you an overview of China’s imperial history and teach you a song that will help you remember the names of the key dynasties.
- During your journey you will also find out how geography, horses, political philosophy and a merciless form of incentivisation helped the State Of Qin defeat their enemies and bring an end to the Warring States era.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warrior Tour will get to use augmented reality technology to manipulate 3D models of the Terracotta Warriors and familiarise themselves with how to distinguish different military ranks before arriving at their destination.
- Whilst driving to your destination we will go past the site of a famous hot spring, which is now forever associated with the tragic love story of a Tang Dynasty Emperor and his favourite concubine.
- Having arrived at the site of the Terracotta Warriors, your guide will explain why this area was chosen to bury the self proclaimed First Emperor Of China.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warrior Tour will get to travel up to the Terracotta Warriors in a golf buggy.
- Before entering Pit One, your guide will tell you about the farmers who discovered the Terracotta Warriors.
- Listen to your guide explain why the soldiers that these statues represent were so feared by their opponents.
- Find out what happened to the men that stole some Terracotta Warriors’ heads.
- Watch a video clip that illustrates how these iconic figures were produced and find out why the artisans that produced them hid their signatures in the hardest places to find.
- Discover which country the Chinese rebuffed and which they embraced when paying for technology with which to preserve the colour on the warriors and see a video that illustrates how this technology works.
- Read translations of accounts written by the State Of Qin’s enemies that describe them as “aravicious, perverse, eager for profit and without sincerity”, and find out what they did to earn this reputation.
- Laugh yourself silly watching a video an art student expressing his love for the Terracotta Warriors and placing a heavy burden on the museum guards in the process.
- Enter Pit Three, and learn about the strange purpose it served that is no longer practiced on the modern battlefield.
- Debate who all the senior soldiers are waiting for and find out why the man in question is absent.
- See the wonderfully tacky array of ways that the museum’s curators have devised for you to remember your visit.
- Enter Pit Two, where you will have the chance to get within a single metre of some of the best preserved warriors in the entire collection.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warriors Tour will get exclusive access to a scale model that will help them better understand the overall battle formation of the Terracotta Warriors. In doing so they will discuss the different theories as to who the Terracotta Warriors were intended to protect their Emperor from.
- Find out how many more warrior’s still remain to be unearthed, and discover why the Emperor’s tomb was abandoned before it was fully completed.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warriors Tour will also get to visit a jade exhibition that helps explain why this area was selected for Emperor Qin’s mausoleum. In doing so they will also learn what scholars believe the recently discovered stone armour was intended for.
- Visit the Terracotta Warrior Museum, where you will learn what was buried with Emperor Qin besides warriors.
- See the amazing bronze chariots that are believed to have been intended to transport Emperor Qin around in the afterlife. In addition, your guide will tell you about Emperor Qin’s tours of his territory and an assassin’s attempt to take his life.
- Find out what happened after the death of the first Emperor of Qin, and find out how a horned deer demonstrated that the Dynasty’s days were numbered.
- Drive back to a location of your choosing in Xi’an. On the way there you can stop to take photos of the as yet unopened mausoleum of Emperor Qin.
- On the way back to Xi’an you will also drive past the site of a famous kidnapping, and will learn how this event changed the fate of modern China.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warriors Tour will get the exclusive opportunity to visit the site of the Qin Emperor’s Mausoleum. There they will see a video showing what historical accounts and scientific discoveries have led experts to believe the interior may look like.
- Guests on the Select Terracotta Warriors Tour will also get to try their hand at some water calligraphy, including ancient characters standardised by Emperor Qin, and the most complicated character in the Chinese writing system.
(All prices in Chinese Renminbi per guest)
|4 or more guests||990||1190|
Private Tours can be scheduled for your group at any time you like.
VIP Tours are led by Newman Tours’ most experienced guides, and guarantee the provision of an iPad to enhance the content of your tour. They can start at any time you want, and feature exclusive content described in red italics under the Tour Schedule section of this page.
Terms & Conditions can be viewed here.
“Will tell you folk stories known only to natives”
Christie Lee, China Daily
“Plenty of fascinating historical information”
John Sunyer, Time Out
Terracotta Warriors Follow Up
Guests on the Terracotta Warriors Tour will receive a follow up email featuring informative and entertaining links including the following:
- Terracotta Warriors documentaries that will enable you to better understand the amazing artistry that went into their making.
- Terracotta Warriors links that will further explore their spectacular bronze weapons.
- Emperor Qin links that will refresh your memory with vivid tales of megalomaniac emperor.
Included Ticket Information
|Dates||16th March to 15thNovember||16thNovember to 15th March|
|Entry Fee (RMB)||150||120|
|Opening Hours||08:30 – 17:00||08:30 – 16:30|